Saturday, July 19, 2008

Success!

Managed to get myself out of bed on-time-ish this morning and will hopefully do so again tomorrow. We rode over to a small lot behind NAC & JoJo's (another rafting, etc, company and a cafe/bar/restaurant respectively) with a trailer and loaded up a bunch of logs to add to the wood-chopping. [I'm assuming, given the few times I've posted in Japan, that I haven't said too much about chopping wood.]

When there's not too much to do at SAS, the Nepali guys head over to another SAS property, the Forest Star Lodge, and cut and stack firewood for the coming winter. So far I've managed to hurt myself a few times: this morning I tripped and cut myself up a bit, and one of the previous times I chopped a piece of wood and, in pulling the axe out of the as-yet unfinished cut, got my finger pinched inbetween the two pieces of wood. Pinched doesn't quite describe the moment well enough, though--the grip was vicelike and it was a few moments (minutes to my perception?) until the others were able to spread the gap enough for me to get my finger out. The first day we went to cut wood, I didn't cut any at all, but we did move wood to the space upstairs by chucking it up to the balcony (where I was balanced on top of the stack to receive the wood).

Anyway, we got back to the office at about eleven and they sent me off to lunch. I had ramen and a mini pizza and some Diet Pepsi. Clearly I've picked up a lot of Japanese culture.

I got back at about 12 30, but we didn't have much to do until after one, at which point I helped with some de-/construction and cleaning until the end of the day.



Well...I've finally managed to post about my most recent day; yesterday I made some notes on previous days, so I guess the next update might be on time and include a bit more of life here in Niseko.

No comments: