Wednesday, June 18, 2008

::sigh:: Finally - A Decent Update

Alright, so I'm at the neighbors again, but I've got some time tonight and can actually write a bit.

Christian's headed out of town for a while, so it's actually just me at the house. I'm sure that's going to make it a little creepier walking back in the blackness of night, but I should survive. More interestingly, tomorrow I'm going to sit in a car for seven hours with the neighbors (3.5 hours each way) to go see a bridge--I think it's that really tall, really long one there's been a History (or similar) channel special on, but I haven't managed to catch the name so I don't really know.

Today I did some more epic weed-whacking (I think I made a mistake saying it wasn't too bad), but it wasn't too bad. The neighbors were happy, too, because part of the property was pretty close to theirs, and now it'll look all pretty when the real neighbors come back. (What? I didn't mention already that these people are house-sitting...I could've sworn I did...)

These Dutch aren't all that freaky-deaky, either--in fact, they're pretty cool. I must say, I had a few moments of cultural recognition during our conversation, noting a certain common heritage that must stem from historical commonalities: South Africa, colonialism, being (Northern, somewhat Germanic) European, etc.

They appreciated the bottle of wine that I bought them, too--they've been quite helpful and tolerant in letting me (ab)use the internet here, and generally too kind. That makes roughly five bottles of wine I've bought here, though I may have lost count. It's nice to be able to do things like buy wine to enjoy with your meals.

Alright, well I said something about making lists (and I misjudged the amount of time I've got, so I need to get going), so here's a whirlwind tour of everything that comes to mind just now. (If you'd like me to elaborate on a particular item, comment and I'll try to do so next time I get on.)

Food:
I've been eating all sorts of vegetables, something I never really do in the States. I now regularly eat salad and whatever vegetables are provided with my meal, though I may avoid some if I find the dish less than incredible. That said, all of the food here has been delicious; get with the program America!
In detail: cucumbers, duck, lamb, (Japanese) curry, couscous, ...

(Just got cut off--bed time for everyone over here. The list will be bigger, I promise!)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

DUCK?! That's intense.
Proud of you on the salad bit, and even I'm not a couscous fan.