Friday, June 20, 2008

Journey...Don't Stop Believing?

No photos added yesterday, because I didn't arrive in Paris until later than anticipated, but that's part of today's storytime, isn't it?

Quatre Heures en Voiture
Thursday morning I was supposed to get up at about 7 30 so I could join the neighbors to go somewhere for the day, but my alarm didn't work (for the first time since I made it; didn't I tell you I wrote a quick music alarm clock program?). Anyway, I got up at about nine and screamed through the house getting ready and completing the minor tasks for the day.

Like I said though, we spent about four hours in a car after that. Now that's supposed to shock you (almost) and make you feel sorry for me, but let's be realistic: why would you feel sorry for someone who's visiting France? We didn't even have to spend all four hours in the car, so, really, it's alright.

Along the way we stopped at Rocamadour, which is picturesque and pretty touristy, but touristy in the way Saint Augustine is touristy--because it's old and pretty, everyone wants to visit, so there are a ton of small hotels, etc. There are photos, too, even one of me!

After this coffee pitstop it was on the road again...until lunch anyway. Marie Louise (!) and Max made sandwiches for us all the night before--sausage or paté and tiny pickle--and they were pretty good, though the bread was a little dry. The countryside was pretty fantastic for our little picnic, even if we were on the side of the road: while Dordogne has some hills and valleys, the next region over is much hillier and rockier, making for some pretty amazing views which, combined with the stone houses and random castles throughout the region, created a pleasant drive, long though it may have been.

Le Viaduc de Millau
But of course there was a point to all this, and so the end of our journey brought us to the Viaduc de Millau. Near the middle of the A75, the Viaduc de Millau makes it a heck of a lot faster to get across the Valley of Tarn (if I'm remembering the name right, there...) and is thus great for this north-south autoroute popular with vacationers.

The bridge spans more than two kilometers and is taller than the Eiffel Tower, but still manages not to be an eyesore in this pretty little valley. I'd really like to add more about the bridge and the trip back, but I should go grab breakfast.

More to come!

No comments: