Friday, August 1, 2008

A Mountain of Disappointment

Yeah...I did, well, nothing on my day-off, nothing of importance anyway. Most people who climb Youteizan do so early in the morning, so my small lie-in (probably only until seven, eight, or nine) made it a bit late to do anything about this hike of mine.

Or so I thought. Upon new recommendation, I shall be hiking up there today or tomorrow afternoon and...spending the night at the top! I can watch the sun rise (at about three in the morning) from a peaceful mountain top. Pretty sweet, eh?

"How are you able to do this with no more full days free?" you might ask.

"Why, by means of new assignment, old chap," I might respond. If you're old. If you're the snout of a wolf...

During my brief 休み (やすみ = yasumi; vacation), I spoke to Scott himself (for about the second time since I've been here) and discussed my intentions of climbing Mount Youtei. A short while later, he suggested that I help Alex and Chris, a couple of rafting guides from Oz, with their work on the SAS website. My new task for my last few days here is to find as much free stuff to do in the Kutchan-Hirafu-Niseko-Annapuri area as possible, do it, take photos, and write about it for the website. Scott wants their new website to be more than just a brochure-style web presence for his company (Scott Adventure Sports): he wants the site to contribute useful information for travellers in the area.

Today I was going to try to make it to Youteizan (羊蹄山) again, but it's a bit cloudy today and supposed to rain. As such, I'm going to try to go tomorrow afternoon. Right now I'm working on gathering reconnaissance on the area and writing up as much stuff as I can. If I run out of stuff to do for this, I'll head over to the SAS headquarters and continue to help out there, as I've been doing most of the time.

The Laundry Lists Begin!
Time for me to share one of those lists I threatened you with: the List of Tasks I Have Done at SAS...

  • Applying silicon to rubber portions of dry suits (reducing the ease of tearing)
  • Stitching up life jackets (patching slight tears in the fabric, not the straps)
  • Sorting and placing wet suits and boots (as well as shoes for canyoning)
  • Cleaning and vacuuming tents (they're nice yurts from the Colorado Yurt Company)
  • Folding plastic seat covers (used for commercial buses during school trips)
  • Opening/Closing windows, etc, according to rain, sun, and wind
  • Aiding in the construction of: an awning for one of the doors, coffee tables, computer stations, small platforms, shelves, etc
  • Laying some carpet, hanging curtains, and putting up (somewhat complex) bunk beds
  • Creating duck tape (not "duct" tape) frames for photos and helping to decorate
  • Going ducky (rafting for one or two people; the raft looks a bit like a banana boat) alone twice
  • Chopping and stacking wood (about three days' worth of this task)
  • Doing other stuff I've forgotten or repressed XD

[Speaking of laundry, I should probably do some of that today, if at all possible...]


That'll be all for the moment, but I might even post twice in one day! Or update my photos! Or something!

Yay! Something!

また

No comments: